York Civic Trust has been placing commemorative plaques to places and people on buildings since the late 1940s. There are now some eighty plaques, in bronze, wood, slate and aluminium spread around the city (and one in Amsterdam). The majority mark buildings or places of interest, but there are many to influential people with York connections.
Map of Plaques
Here is a Google map of our plaques, with red pins marking places, and blue pins marking people. By clicking on the box in the top right (“view larger map”), a new tab will open with a list of all plaques on the left.
List of Plaques
The following plaques are to be found in the City. Where our volunteer historians have compiled information on the subject of the plaque, you can click on the name to take you to that information.
Abbey Walls Shutters, Marygate
All Saints’ North Street
All Saints’ Pavement Churchyard
Ancient Society of York Florists, Colliergate
Andrews, George Townsend,
Archbishop Holgate’s Grammar School Playing Fields Gates
Assembly Rooms, Museum St
Association of Voluntary Guides, York Library
Auden, W H
King’s Manor: Charles I Coat of Arms
North Eastern Railway Distant Signal
Oliver Sheldon House
Our Lady’s Row
Quaker Burial Ground
Ship’s Figurehead, Stonegate
Shipton Street School
Siege of York
Snow, Dr John
St Andrew Society of York
St Anthony’s Hall
St George’s Cinema
St Leonard’s Hospital
St Margaret’s School
St Martin le Grand
St Michael le Belfrey
St Sampson’s Church
St Stephen’s Orphanage
York College for Girls, Petergate
York County Hospital
York Railway Station 1997
York Railway Station 2004
York Railway Station Zero Post
Yorkshire Gentlemen’s Cricket Club, Davygate
Yorkshire Philosophical Society, Museum Gardens
The Emblem of the Civic Trust is used on the plaques, along with logos and emblems of other sponsors and funders.
Our Emblem is based on the York Assay Mark of 1423 (under Henry IV). In 1541 it was described as “the pounce of the Citie called the half leopard head and half flowre de Lyce” (fleur de lys).