In 1782, following London’s example, York started to install street signs. A number of these early signs were carved or painted onto stone blocks on the junctions of streets. Cast iron and hand-painted wooden signs became the standard model across the city. Pockets of these early signs survive – although much faded through time.
The Civic Trust would like to conserve or restore these examples of early manufacturing and the now rapidly disappearing craft of sign writing.
Painted in a York-specific font, hand-painted signs bring an elegance to our street that modern mass-produced aluminium signs cannot.
Working with York-based experienced sign writer Phil Paylor (examples of his work below) the Civic Trust will target conserving and restoring hand-painted signs in areas across the city – including Acomb, Tadcaster Road, Hull Road and Bootham.